Raccoon.Recovery is a physical rehabilitation tool to treat patients after accidents and neurological diseases. We have built a hardware device you can attach to your arms, legs, back or your hands. And there is an application that tracks the treatment.
But our secret sauce is — we’re finally making it fun. Patients can connect recovery devices to any video game there is, and play video game using their body only with the movements that are prescribed to them.
Raccoon.Recovery will be full-body, but we start with hand rehabilitation because we have experience in creating game controllers.
Using Raccoon.Recovery will be possible for the whole body. We started with hand rehabilitation, as we have experience in creating game controllers and hands are an integral part for the patient to take care of himself.
Achievements of Raccoon status in the spring of 2019:
Testing conducted in 10 rehabilitation centers in the EU, USA and Ukraine. In addition to private rehabilitation centers, already interested in Raccoon.Recovery:
- a network of rehabilitation centers at the German Olympic Committee
- world famous institutions “Charite” and Max Planck
- World Health Organization
- two largest insurance companies paying for medical services in Germany (AOK and TC).
• Become a member of the European Connected Health Alliance.
• We are negotiating a contract with the public organization “Association of Neuro Rehabilitation”, which will act as our distributor in the CIS market.
• Became the ninth Ukrainian startup in the history of the Horizon 2020 program, which managed to get a grant.
• Became graduates of Y Combinator startup school.
• Passed the acceleration program in the German accelerator Startupbootcamp Digital Health Berlin, which is among the top 5 best accelerators in the field of MedTech.
• We hit the top 12 most promising telerehabilitation projects based on an analysis made for the Fortune 100.
• Became the winner of Startup World Cup Ukraine and the first Ukrainian startup participating in the Startup World Cup final.
We start from German market because it is one of the most promising:
-2nd biggest market in the World after USA for after-stroke rehab (89000 strokes per year according to www.safestroke.eu)
-2nd biggest market in the World after USA for rehab after injuries (148000 injuries per year according to www.ilo.org, www.data.worldbank.org)
-lack of rehab specialists (physiotherapy and rehabilitation are 2 from TOP 3 areas of shortages of professionally-trained personnel according to www.bdo.global)
The market in Germany: 229 public physical rehabilitation centers and 661 privat physical rehabilitation centers. Physiotherapy services and products market is estimated to reach $165.73 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 5.34%.
Problem or Opportunity
Every year, hundreds of millions of people need physical rehabilitation after accidents and neurological diseases. Only 3 out of 10 people completely finish rehabilitation. 7 out of 10 mix ineffective, non-controlled and pretty boring treatment. As a result people do not recover well. And from business point of view rehab centers lose money.
Solution (product or service)
We've build a hardware device to attach to arms, legs, back or hands, and an application. But our secret sauce is — we're finally making it fun. Patients can connect recovery devices to any video game there is, and play video game using their body only with the movements that are prescribed to them.
Raccoon.Recovery helps to treat more patients at a time and increase the revenue for rehab centres by 40%.
Doctors use old methods (massage, modeling clay, puzzles), expensive large facility that cannot be used outside the hospital (InMotion ARM ™, Gloreha) or expensive mobile solutions with limited software (Hand Tutor, MusicGlove). There are several new solutions (Xtensor® Hand Exerciser, Mind-controlled device) that are only in test mode in laboratories, but they have the same problems.
Advantages or differentiators
1. Raccoon.Recovery can be used on any existing software and video games.
2. Our personalized and goal oriented solution helps to reach patient's goals of choice; whether it is cutting up a salad or playing the piano.
3. We use Big Data and Machine Learning to create mistake-proof courses.
4. The treatment plan is flexible, saves rehab specialists time and provides real-time tracking.
5. We do the same tests as our competitors. but we also are able to transform data according to international standards of ICF.
For more information, contact the project representatives.
B2B, subscription fee. As customer segments we consider public and private rehabilitation centers (both outpatient and inpatient) and self-employed rehab specialists.
Rehab centers prescribe our device and application to the patient as a part of their rehab course. We receive a subscription fee from the centers per patient. After we will be listed in the catalogs of insurance companies, they will reimburse our solution to rehab centres.
This summer we will enter the German market with a simple model of our product with class 1 CE certification while we are training our ML and doing trials for CE Class 2a.
Taking into account specifics of German rehab market (independence and self-government of medical institutions) most sales will be direct, but we are also going to do sales via distributors and vendors and are already in negotiating with them.
First product will be cheaper and will have different flexible business models according to the needs of our first clients.
We consider both horizontal and vertical scaling.
Horizontal: Germany, Poland, Other EU countries, USA, Worldwide.
Vertical: Wrist, Hand, Arm, Shoulder, Whole body.
Money will be spent on
Investments are needed to launch a full-fledged business (launching new pilots for popularization, certification, creating sales channels with the possibility of scaling, refinement of software for hospitals).
You do not succeed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7MYNtztkI4
Won the competition and other awards
TOP 40 European Startups in European health investment forum in Helsinki 2019;
Finalist of Grand Pitching show on Wolves Summit Poland 2019;
Winner of Startup World Cup Ukraine 2019;
TOP 12 SME - Empowering Women Innovators by The European Innovation Council 2019;
Horizon2020 2018 - a grant from the European Union in the amount of 50 thousand euros;
Top 12 Most Promising Tele-Rehab Projects Based on a Fortune 100 Analysis;
CRDF Global - business grant 5000 dollars https://www.crdfglobal.org/;
Vernadsky challenge 2017 - we won the audience award with a prize fund of 200 000 UAH;
CES (Las Vegas) - Raccoon won the opportunity to participate in the CES electronics trade show in Las Vegas https://investgazeta.info/news/item/1077-sformirovana-ukrainskaya-sektsiya-v-ramkakh-ses-2017;
Startup Battle Intercontinental - 1st place http://btl.startup.network/e785/;
Startup Battle Ukraine - Poland - 1st place https://startup.ua/news/5-0-sbornaya-startapov-ukrainy-s-razgromnym-schetom-pobedila-sbornuyu-polshi;
Wegame 2.0 - participated in the festival https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMDsAkOp-I.