New Age Data Compression or NADC is R&D project, based on unique solutions for data processing. The current case is protection and compression of digital images. Our propositions: 1) mobile application; 2) technology.
Further cases are: - video compression and privacy protection; - appliaction of the developed technologies to artificial intelligence.
The principal algorithms and their software implementation have been developed. Efficiency research have been conducted and its results have been published (including Scopus journals). MVP of the mobile app is ready.
1. Smartphone users that take many photos (250+ per year), share them and transfer them via messengers, social networks and so on. 2. Companies and persons that work remotely and need protection for graphic content, which is transferred. 3. Companies that operate huge number of digital images (photos, aerial and satellite images, maps, medical images, etc.).
Problem or Opportunity
1. Unauthorized viewing of digital images, especially private.
2. Huge expenses of memory, traffic and time required for storing, processing and transfering via network of great number of images (photos, aerial images and maps, medical images, etc.).
Solution (product or service)
Our solution is a unique algorithm and its software implementation. Discrete Atomic Compression (DAC), which was developed by team of the project, is an algorithm that provide both compression and privacy protection of digital images. DAC compresses better than JPEG, which is de facto a standart for digital photos, with the same quality of the result. Also, protection of images is achieved without additional operations and steps. Our propositions are: 1) mobile application; 2) technology. Mobile application provides users with all necessary function for operating digital images including: camera and gallery functions (to take and view photos), compression function (to get smaller files and, hence, to save memory, time and traffic), protection function (pin, graphic code, password). Using this app, users can take protected photos, send them via messengers, as well as view protected photos (only if correct pin, graphic code or password is entered). Software implementation of the technology is C++ library that can be implemented by developers to their own projects and solutions.
1) hardware (memory card, flesh drive, etc.): requires $, FAQ: How to send photos?
2) cloud services (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.): requires time & traffic for upload/download, limited free of charge possibilities;
3) software: great number of - algorithms and their implementations (JPEG, PNG, ZIP, etc.); - desktop, mobile and web applications: Candy Camera (100 M installations), LINE Camera (100 M installations), PicsArt (500 M installations), Photo Compress 2.0 - Ad Free (1 M installations), RAR (50 M installations), Keepsafe (50 M installations), ...
Advantages or differentiators
Unique algorithm that 1) compresses better than JPEG, which is applied to compress photos in the most apps; 2) provides both protection and compression (note that protection is NOT an additional step); 3) can be improved, which is shown by the research.
Also, our solution can be applied in combination with other solutions: - compressed files can be stored in the cloud; - protected files can be additionally protected by other software.
Revenue streams: - subscription payment, - special capabilities development.
Awards: - 3rd place in 134 Startup Battle, Kyiv, January 2019; - award of the contest "Innovator of Kharkiv Region", April, 2019; - award for the best paper, 11th IEEE International Conference on Dependable Systems, Services and Technologies DESSERT 2020, May, 2020 (this paper contains the rationale for data protection technology).
1) Discrete Atomic Compression: Research Kit. The Certificate on official registration of the computer program copyright. No. 83048, 2018.
2) Discrete Atomic Compression: User Kit. The Certificate on official registration of the computer program copyright. No. 83047, 2018.